Friday, October 29, 2010

An Open Letter to the CSULA Community: Past absences and eventual returns

To my esteemed colleagues and friends,
The past month, I have received a noticeable spike in emails and phone calls from fellow CSU Students, most asking the inevitable question as to the date of my return. I find myself both humbled and, indeed, a bit embarrassed at this sudden wave of attention and that my absence would be do deeply noticed by so many. But to avoid speculation and a few arising rumors, I must state that even though this period of inactivity has been quite uncharacteristic of me, this has been quite intentional for the most part.
Earlier last year, I took a conscious decision to step aside and devote less time towards advocacy and outreach due to a belief that a temporary respite would allow time to consider other intellectual and professional pursuits. However, what was meant to be a mere hiatus became prolonged due to the passing of a family relative, a tragedy in of itself, but one that left me with the unexpected responsibility of managing a corporation overseas. As might be suggested, I am currently in Guatemala negotiating a satisfactory settlement in this regard.
While I am sure that some might be entrigeued by stories of the many frustration of dealing with foreign government agencies and of squabbling over vague interpretations of corporate law, personally I am most pleased with the knowledge that if negotiations keep their current pace. I will likely be home before the holidays. However, this time, there will be no further barriers to re-initiating my work as a vocal student advocate.
I know that everyone reading this is aware of the fiscal challenges that the CSU, and indeed the entire California system of higher education, is facing. however the continued silence of students will achieve nothing to their benefit. It will take advocacy, outreach, and continued mobilization to achieve favorable results.
I will be in town this time for the 2011 Winter Quarter, but I would appreciate input before then. What issues do you find in need to attention? Share your thoughts, opinions, and concerns.

Yours in Service,
Carlos Francisco Lopez Jimenez
CSULAleadership@gmail.com
www.csulaleadership.webs.com

No comments: